Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Proactiv X Out Review

To purchase X Out, you can visit their website http://www.xout.com

Basically, Proactive has released a product designed to be used as a face wash, a face mask, and a spot treatment, marketed toward high school- college aged people.
On the left, is the trial size bottle I received complimentary from Influenster in my Holiday Vox Box. For more information on Influenster, Click Here
On the right, is what the packaging looks like when you order directly from the X Out website.

Here's what they have to say about X Out:
The unique, one-step X Out™ Wash-In Treatment is formulated to help kill the bacteria that causes breakouts, help banish existing pimples and help leave the skin feeling smooth and looking healthy.  

X Out™ works to lift away the dirt and grime that can clog pores.  The Wash-In Treatment also leaves behind powerful medicine to help keep pores clean.  Learn more and purchase at XOut.com.  X Out is sold as a 30-day supply and comes with a bonus Shine Control product to help you fight oil all day for $19.95.  

I've been putting off doing this blog post to get a good feel for the product, and I have a lot to say about it, now that I've been using it!

What I liked:
-The pump function on the bottle was great. You could control how much you were pumping out, so no product would go to waste.
-The scent. One of the biggest complaints I had about the original Proactiv, was the horrible scent it had. This scent is actually pleasant, and it leaves your face smelling good- not like chemicals.
-The moisturizing abilities. Just to clarify, I have dry skin, with acne. Whenever I shop for acne treatment products in stores, I only buy Salicylic acid based products, because Benzoyl Peroxide dries my skin out beyond belief. It makes all of my acne turn into dry, scabby patches. X out practically has prescription strength Benzoyl Peroxide, yet the moisturizing ingredients added counteract the drying effect- somehow. I have never used a product with Benzoyl Peroxide that didn't dry my face out. I am very impressed with this aspect.
-It actually helps my acne!

What I didn't like:
-While this product is marketed as a 3 step product, I'm not sure it's any different than any other face wash. It does hard into a mask, but when used as a mask, it burned my face, and left it really red. I also didn't feel like this worked well as a spot treatment either, because you have to wash it off, you can't leave it on overnight.
-The menthol level in this product concerns me. I've been told that menthol breaks down the collagen production levels in your skin over time, and continuously using this product daily would worry me. Also, like I mentioned earlier, it does tingle a little too much due to the menthol- especially when used as a mask.
-You can tell by the packaging that mentions using your smart phone to read QR codes to watch videos, homework mentions, etc that this product is geared for teens.  That being said, I think it should be available in drugstores. Proactiv has enough of a following that it would be successful in drugstores. Many teens do not have credit/debit cards to purchase this product themselves.
-Lastly, the cost of this product seems outrageous to me. Granted, it works well, but $20 for one product is too much, especially if you think of it as $20/month. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for this, honestly, and I think that if it was in drugstores, Proactiv could afford to lower the price, and they would make more profit, by moving more product.

I think Proactiv is really onto something with this product, but there are a few flaws.
Lower the menthol level, make the accessibility better to the targeted age, and lower the cost. (Let's face it, teens don't make a lot of money, and most wouldn't be able to afford this.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised that this product didn't dry out your skin! It dried mine out sooo bad. I only used it twice and you would not believe how dry my skin was. I'm not sure if it's because I don't really get acne except for a pimple here and there or what, but it was so dry it was painful. My cheeks and nose especially. It felt rough to the touch and hurt when I tried to put my foundation on and putting on my moisturizer stung because that requires blending it in with your fingers :/ After a whole week of sleeping with face oil all over and my Origins Thirst Quenching overnight mask my skin is finally back to normal. But I will never intentionally use this product again, even if I break out a bunch. It's not worth it for me! haha

    ReplyDelete

Pretty and perfect due to your steady hand.
Apply that lipgloss like it's your job.