Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Makeup Setting Sprays Comparison

I've recently been wondering about how well setting sprays extend the wear of your makeup, as this summer heat has been melting my makeup off of my face, especially at work.
I picked up ELF's Studio Mist & Set at Target for $3 and I think it's been helping somewhat- although I'm trying out a new (to me) long wearing foundation, and I already use a primer.
Today while browsing the Sephora website, I saw Kat Von D's new setting spray: Lock 'N Load.
For $24, I will definitely not be purchasing that, but I was wondering how the ingredients compared to ELF's spray.

Product Amount:
ELF's spray contains 2.2 oz, while KVD's spray contains 3.4 oz.
For the same price as the KVD spray, you can buy 17.6 bottles of the ELF spray, where you'll get 38. 72 oz of product, vs. 1 bottle of KVD spray with 3.4 oz.



Left: KVD Lock 'N Load Right: ELF Studio Mist & Set

Ingredients Comparison:


ELF: Water (Aqua), AMP-Acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Green Tea (Camelia Sinensis) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vc), Tocophryl Acetate (Ve) Retinyl Acytate (Va), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.
On a positive note, there are some moisturizing ingredients in this product- Aloe juice, Green tea extract, and cucumber extract. BUT on a negative note, there are not 1, but FIVE types of parabens in this! I've never had a problem with parabens making my skin break out, and I haven't made my mind up on how I feel about parabens. I don't think that as of right now there are enough studies that prove it's harm, for me to find paraben free alternatives to all of the products I use daily.

KVD: Water / Aqua / Eau, Alcohol, PVP, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Mineral Oil / ParaffinumLiquidum/ HuileMinerale, Aloe BarbadensisLeaf Extract, PolyhydroxystearicAcid, Isononyl Isononanoate, EthylhexylIsononanoate, Sodium CocamidopropylPG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, CucumisSativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Fragrance/Parfum.
Positives: mositurizing ingredients in this as well- Aloe extract and cucumber extract. This one is paraben free though! So if you're looking for a paraben free setting spray and don't mind the price tag- here's a great option for you.

But in comparison to the two ingredients, it seems to me like the ELF one will be more moisturizing. ELF's moisturizing ingredients are higher up in the list, meaning they have a higher concentration then the KVD spray most likely. ELF's spray contains green tea extract, and KVD's doesn't.
Also, ELF's has Aloe Barbadensis Leaf JUICE, while KVD's has Aloe Barbadensis Leaf EXTRACT. I'm not sure if this really makes a different, but leaf "juice" sounds so much more moisturizing.

I think the key to the setting spray is to have the moisturizing ingredients, because it will make the makeup not cake, settle, crease, and crack.

Here's the biggest difference for me in the ingredients (besides the parabens of course):
the KVD spray has ALCOHOL as the SECOND ingredient.
Alcohol? The most drying liquid in the world of makeup? But won't this dry out your makeup and defeat the purpose of a moisturizing setting spray?
And ready for this?
The KVD spray also contains MINERAL OIL as the sixth ingredient!
This can make your face break out, make your face oily, and melt away your makeup!
The KVD spray also contains a fragrance/parfum, while the ELF spray does not.

Verdict:
Price tag: Elf wins hands down! $3 vs. $24- you do the math!
Ingredients: ELF, as long as you don't mind parabens. I'd rather spray parabens on my face versus mineral oil and alcohol. We don't know enough about parabens to say if/how bad they really are just yet. But everyone knows alcohol is drying, and mineral oil can break you out!
Besides, Parabens are used in products as a preservative, and we're trying to preserve our make up with a setting spray- seems logical to me.

If you have tried the Lock 'N Load spray versus the ELF Mist & Set, I'd love to hear your opinion, but from the looks of things, I'll be sticking to my trusty ELF spray.

4 comments:

  1. I just recently got Elf's setting spray since it's been like 100 degrees. I was wondering how good it worked. Thanks for the blog :) I've never seen Kat Von D's lock n' load, but seems too pricey for me. My foundation I get is already too much money lol. I seen on your other blog you use the monistat chaffing gel also.. I did a post about that. :)

    www.rock-rollbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the elf spray , it great for 3 dollar u cant goo wrong with that price& it work amazing, great blog, im ur new follower and i hope u can follow my beauty blog back Britters89.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Britney I already follow you! :)
    I would never pay $24 for an alcohol, water, and mineral oil spray, no matter how much I like Kat Von D!
    Thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have the elf setting spray and I don't find that it really sets my makeup the way a powder would, but I do find it is a good refreshing spray and can help me out when I don't want to look too powdery. The only sprays I've used that actually make your makeup stay on are the Model In A Bottle and the Skindinavia line, although they are both a lot more expensive that the elf spray. The elf spray is very comparable to MAC Fix+ though so I will probably never purchase it again and stick with the elf spray!

    ReplyDelete

Pretty and perfect due to your steady hand.
Apply that lipgloss like it's your job.